Advantage Multi for Cats Basics
- Advantage Multi for Cats is available by prescription only.
- Advantage Multi for Cats is a combination of two drugs...
- Advantage Multi for Cats prevents a variety of internal and external parasite...
- Imidacloprid is an insecticidal agent that acts on the central nervous system of fleas, causing paralysis and death.
- Moxidectin is a parasite control drug that disrupts the nerve transmission of heartworms and intestinal worms. It also leads to insect paralysis and death.
- Advantage Multi for Cats is available in different sizes according to your cat's weight:
- 2.1 - 5 pounds (Teal box)
- 5.1 - 9 pounds (Orange box)
- 9.1 - 18 pounds (Purple box)
Advantage Multi for Cats Warnings
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not use on any animal that has shown a hypersensitivity or allergy to imidacloprid or moxidectin.
- Use with caution in cats that are...
- Do not use Advantage Multi for Cats in kittens under 9 weeks of age or in cats weighing less than 2 pounds.
- The bitter taste of Advantage Multi for Cats may cause some cats to drool if ingested.
- Advantage Multi for Cats should only be used on cats.
- The application site may appear oily for up to 24 hours.
- Store at room temperature.
Advantage Multi for Cats Directions
- Use Advantage Multi for Cats as directed by your veterinarian.
- Follow the instructions on the prescription label.
- Store at room temperature.
- Advantage Multi for Cats should be applied between the shoulder blades.
- Be sure to empty the entire contents of the tube in the same spot between the shoulder blades.
- Do not use Advantage Multi for Cats in kittens younger than 9 weeks old or in cats weighing less than 2 pounds.
- Advantage Multi for Cats must be given once a month.
Dosage for Cats
For cats 2.1 - 5 lbs:
For cats 5.1 - 9 lbs:
- Apply one 0.23 mL tube between the shoulder blades once monthly.
For cats 9.1 - 18 lbs:
- Apply one 0.4 mL tube between the shoulder blades once monthly.
For cats over 18 lbs:
- Apply one 0.8 mL tube between the shoulder blades once monthly.
- Use the appropriate combination of Advantage Multi Tubes.
- Apply both tubes between the shoulder blades once monthly.
Advantage Multi for Cats Dosage FAQs
- In the case of a missed dose of Advantage Multi for Cats, give the dose as soon as you remember or wait until it is time to give the next dose. DO NOT GIVE A DOUBLE DOSE OF ADVANTAGE MULTI FOR CATS.
- If you suspect an overdose has occurred, stop treatment and contact your veterinarian.
- Signs of an overdose may include...
Advantage Multi is a really unique product since it controls and kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease, and kills ear mites. You can use this product on cats young and old. There is also a canine version that kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease, and treats and prevents hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. I really believe Advantage Multi is a great option for any pet owner wanting a broad range of protection for their pet. This product, which is manufactured by Bayer, has proven to be safe and effective and has been used extensively here at our practice with very few side effects. It seems that you will occasionally get a pet that is sensitive to all topical
medications, and for those pets, oral products may be a more viable option.
Bayer has a long track record of standing behind all of their products, and I really believe non-generic options are better considering the importance of flea, tick, and heartworm protection to the health of your pets.
If you notice any behavioral or physiological changes in your pet after using Advantage Multi, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Allergic Reactions and Serious Side Effects
- In the case of an allergic reaction or a serious side effect, seek veterinary attention immediately. Some common allergic reactions and serious side effects are...
- sudden onset of diarrhea or vomiting