Cefpodoxime Proxetil Basics
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is available by prescription only.
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is a cephalosporin antibiotic used primarily to fight skin infections in dogs.
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is effective against bacterial strains such as...
- Cefpodoxime proxetil inhibits the growth of the bacterial cell wall, causing the wall to become unstable and rupture.
- Cefpodoxime proxetil is available in two strengths:
Cefpodoxime Proxetil Warnings
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not use in animals with known hypersensitivity to cefpodoxime proxetil.
- Notify your veterinarian of any and all medications your pet is taking, as cefpodoxime proxetil may interact with some other medications.
- Use with caution in animals that are pregnant or nursing.
- Use with caution if your dog suffers from...
- Store at room temperature, protected from light and moisture.
Cefpodoxime Proxetil Directions
- Give as directed by your veterinarian.
- Be sure to complete the prescription to ensure a full recovery, even if your pet seems to be improving, unless instructed otherwise by your veterinarian.
- Store tablets at room temperature.
- If stomach upset occurs, give with food.
- In the case of a missed dose of cefpodoxime proxetil, give it as soon as you remember. DO NOT GIVE A DOUBLE DOSE OF CEFPODOXIME PROXETIL.
- In the case of an overdose of cefpodoxime proxetil, seek veterinary attention immediately.
- Symptoms of an overdose may include...
Cefpodoxime proxetil (Simplicef) is a third generation cephalosporin and is used primarily to treat skin infections in dogs- most of which are caused by Staphylococcus. It has been very useful in dogs that have bacterial skin infections that are resistant to other antibiotics. It is used once daily which makes it very convenient to administer. It is usually very well tolerated and has few side effects. I really think this is a good antibiotic for Staphylococcus infections, and most veterinarians seem to be familiar with the drug and its indications.
If you notice any behavioral or physiological changes in your pet while administering cefpodoxime proxetil, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Allergic Reactions and Serious Side Effects
- Allergic reactions and serious side effects are rare, but in the case of an allergic reaction or serious side effect, seek immediate veterinary attention.
- Some common signs of allergic reactions and serious side effects are...
- swelling on or around the face
- Do not give cefpodoxime proxetil to any animal that has a known allergy to cefpodoxime, penicillins, or cephalosporins.