Per Boehringer Ingelheim, there is still an ongoing supply disruption of VETMEDIN in the U.S. Market. In order to remedy this supply issue, Boehringer Ingelheim is now temporarily importing two different forms (capsule and chew) of VETMEDIN product used in Canada and the United Kingdom.This means that there will be three different presentations of VETMEDIN throughout the year: VETMEDIN capsules, VETMEDIN chews, and the current FDA-approved VETMEDIN chewable tablets. All have the same active ingredient, Pimobendan.
Note that a new prescription is required for each form.
- Vetmedin is available by prescription only.
- Vetmedin capsules and chews are a temporary replacement for US FDA-approved Vetmedin Chewable Tablets.
- Vetmedin, or pimobendan, is a phosphodiesterase III inhibitor with calcium sensitizing properties.
- Vetmedin acts as a vasodilator and a cardiac muscle stimulator.
- Phosphodiesterase inhibitors cause the blood vessels to relax and force the heart to beat more efficiently.
- Vetmedin improves the quality of life in dogs suffering from...
- congestive heart failure (CHF)
- dilated cardiomyopathy, or an enlarged, weakened heart
- Vetmedin comes in four different strengths of capsules or chews:
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- Vetmedin should not be used in dogs with known hypersensitivity or allergy to pimobendan.
- Do not use in dogs with...
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, or a thickened heart
- aortic stenosis, or narrowing of the aortic valve
- any other heart condition causing an increase in cardiac output
- Vetmedin should not be given to any dog less than 6 months of age.
- Do not use Vetmedin if your pet is pregnant or lactating.
- Vetmedin can interact with some other medications. Inform your veterinarian of any and all medications your pet may be taking, especially...
- Vetmedin is not for use in cats.
- Store at room temperature.